The Abbey of Thiron-Gardais was the mother abbey of one of the largest monastic orders of the middle ages, the Order of Tiron. Soak up the atmosphere of one of the great centres of medieval spirituality, with its themed gardens and tithe barn.

Built in black sandstone and rubble stone, the church has a large nave 64m long by 12m wide. The magnificent Gothic chancel built in the 15th century collapsed in 1817. The glazing is modern and was crafted by a master glassmaker from Chartres. The west front has a white limestone doorway with two archivolts. The belltower dates back to the transformation of the abbey into a school, The discreet four-sided tile roof was replaced by a heavy dome with slates. Signs explain the history and architecture and there are guided visits.

Pictures
Languages for tours
  • French
Services
  • Pets allowed
Equipments
  • Electric charging station for vehicles
  • Parking
  • baby equipment
We also suggest
Historical sites and monuments Eglise abbatiale de Thiron-Gardais
Rue de l'Abbaye
28480 THIRON-GARDAIS