The aqueduct of Maintenon building work started in 1683 as requested by Louis XIV, who wanted to bring water from the river Eure to the fountains of Versailles. The building work was led by Louvois,building superintendent, together with Vauban. There were many different aspects to this project which ended up with the most sober design with 47 archways, enclosed by two U-bends. The project is worthy of a Roman structure. In 1688, the war against the League of Augsburg occurred and the king was forced to stop the building work due to a lack of resources. There were 29km left to be finished and several ancillary works. To compensate for the inconvenience caused to Madame de Maintenon by the works, the king gave it to her and gave her the title of 'marquise'.

  • No pets allowed
  • Shop
  • Parking
Activities on site
  • Activities
  • Adult workshop
  • Junior workshop
  • Conferences
  • Temporary exhibitions
  • Sound & Light
  • Full adult price Visit included in the castle entrance fee From 3€
We also suggest
Park and garden, Historical sites and monuments Jardins et aqueduc de Maintenon
2A place Aristide Briand